Monday 26 August 2013

Sunday 25 August. Schnackenburg to Moedlich.

We had to walk a little way from the accommodation block to the pub where we ate last night and where this morning we were provided with breakfast.  However it was a good breakfast.

We ate earlier than normal and we were on the ferry before 9am. It set off with only the two of us on it but a car turned up seconds after we moved off so the ferry returned to pick it up.

I got a photograph of Snackenburg from the ferry, which I couldn't get last night because of the lighting. I also took a picture of the ferry from the northern bank of the Elbe, looking back towards Schnackenburg.

Instead of walking back towards Luetkenwisch we took a short cut across an empty cow paddock and headed up onto the Deich in the direction of Moedlich. The teacher we met yesterday said Lenzen was worth a visit so we took a turn off north up to a small village called Wustrow. My map showed a reasonable sized road between Wustrow and Gandow, on the edge of a forest, which then joined the road to Lenzen. However what looked like a road on my map was a very overgrown forest road. I've taken a photograph so you see what it was like.

I took off my dark spectacles to take the photograph, putting them behind a rucksac strap and sadly without my noticing they fell off whilst I was walking.  We went back to look for them but couldn't find them. The anthill shown in the photograph gives you a good idea of how well used a road it was that we and it were on!

In complete contrast the broad concrete road shown in the next photograph was marked as a thin black line, that is as a path, on my map! However we got to Gandow without further incident.

I took two photographs on entering Lenzen to show how the wood framed houses are gradually being tidied up and what a difference it makes. Lenzen was largely deserted, being Sunday morning, as we headed past the church and out to the Burg where we had refreshments and cake on the beautiful terrace of the Burg restaurant. There were a number of bronzes before the restaurant which are well worth a look.

From Lenzen we headed back down onto the Deich where there was an old observation tower from DDR days which now serves more as a viewing platform for the surrounding area.

The last two pictures, taken together, are self explanatory. A very dramatic sculpture and a clever location.

Our evening meal was taken in the garden of our pension. We both had drinks, I had a good feta and olive salad. Shiel had a vegetarian dish. I then had a coffee and we shared a very tasty light cheesecake. The bill was modest at only €28.80 and I suggested to the waiter/owner he should take €32, a tip of 10% which seems to be the accepted norm. However both Shiel and I noticed that after giving change for €35 the waiter paused significantly before handing over all our change. (This has happened only once before in Germany in an Italian restaurant near the Dom at Havelburg). It turned what had been a very pleasant evening a little flat.

{The chap redeemed himself somewhat the following morning. I was sure we had arranged a price of €51 for the night but he said the room we were in was only €49, so we rounded up to €50 and everyone was happy}.

Todays walk was 19.6km in 5.5 hours. By contrast we walked 24.6km yesterday, including our trip to the museum.

Shiel has been suffering a bit with a swollen right ankle. I wanted to post a photo yesterday but she refused to cooperate. We reduced her load a bit today to see if it helped. Sadly it did't.

We are having a day off in Hitzacker in two day's time and hopefully that may help. I've suggested cold water treatment, as used on horses at RDA, but this was pooh pood.

No comments:

Post a Comment